These tasks I do for every Windows 8 workstation that I setup.
1) Change the time zone & Verify the time is correct
2) Enable remote management
3) Enable remote desktop
4) Install anti-virus
5) Turn off Windows Firewall
6) Give server a descriptive name following a standard naming convention
7) Join the active directory domain
8) Add appropriate domain administrative account to the local administrator’s group
9) Install Microsoft Update Services
10) Patch, patch patch!
11) Change folder viewing preferences
12) Update PowerShell help
13) Change the PowerShell execution policy for both 32 bit and 64 bit
14) Install Remote Server Administration Tools
15) Pin common tools to the taskbar such as Active Directory Users and Computers and SQL Management Studio