SQL Management Studio by default does not let you make changes that require dropping and recreating a database table. This can be quite annoying if you just made changes you want to save.
Here are some column actions that will trigger a drop/recreate:
- Change column’s data type
- Drop a column
- Add a column between existing columns
- Change a column’s nullability
- Change column order
Luckily, it is easy to fix. Go to:
- Tools / Options / Designers / Table and Database Designers.
- Deselect “Prevent saving changes that require the table to be recreated.“